Swedish massage is the most commonly offered and best-known type of massage in the western world. Swedish massage uses firm but gentle pressure to promote relaxation, ease muscle tension and create other health benefits.
During Swedish massage, the massage therapists use massage oils to facilitate smooth, gliding strokes called effleurage. Other classic Swedish massage moves include kneading, friction, stretching and (sometimes) tapping.
Generally during Swedish massage you are covered by a towel or sheet. The therapist uncovers only the part of the body they are working on.
The pressure the therapist applies during Swedish massage can vary from light to firm, and can be adjusted to the client's needs. Swedish massage usually includes some deeper work on areas of specific muscle tension such as back and shoulders.
Most people ask why it is called Swedish massage. It was developed by a Swedish physiologist, Henri Peter Ling, at the University of Stockholm in 1812. He took inspiration from oriental techniques such as Tuina or Chinese massage.
Benefits of Massage
Swedish Massage has been found to have many benefits, including:
- It reduces muscle spasm, pain and tension
- It releases endorphins, the body's natural painkillers, providing a feeling of general wellbeing.
- It provides relaxation and therefore a reduction in stress and anxiety levels.
- It improves blood circulation and lymphatic drainage. It lowers blood pressure.
- It improves mobility and reduces swelling caused by an accumulation of fluid in the tissues.
- Swedish massage shortens recovery time from muscular strain by flushing the tissues of lactic acid, uric acid, and other metabolic wastes. It improves muscle tone and prevents fatigue and muscular atrophy.
- It balances the overall flow of natural life energy through the body.
Swedish massage feels good, is relaxing and invigorating. It affects the nerves, muscles, glands, and circulation, while promoting health and well being.
How can I pay you? Do you accept cards or checks?
I do not accept checks. You can pay for the service in advance via Paypal (with your paypal account or with your credit or debit card) or pay me in cash in the moment of receiving the service.
Will I have to remove clothing?
Your modesty will be preserved at all times. You remove as much or as little as you are comfortable with. You will be given privacy to undress and you will be covered by a towel. I only uncover the part of the body I am going to work with and will cover it again once I have finished with it.
Is there any contraindication for massage?
Yes. Please check the contraindications page. Feel free to contact me if you have any concern about whether or not massage is suitable for you.
Contraindications of massage
Although massage is highly benefitial in most of the cases, there are a few conditions that may make it inadvisable.
Total contraindications to massage: The client suffering from the following should avoid massage completely.
- High fever
- Some skin conditions
- Undisagnosed lumps.
- Unexplained pain.
- Loss of skin sensation
- Strong drugs or painkillers